First Q & A Tag!

by - 21:10:00





1. What’s your passion?

Liyana - Nothing makes me feel more accomplished than delivering a well thought out speech and writing a good piece. CrossFit, of course, I also cannot live without.

Sabrina - Here’s the thing, whenever people ask me what I’m passionate about, I’d always be stuck because I, for one, have A LOT. Who says you can only be passionate about one thing.. I’m passionate about all sorts of different things – writing, that’s one. Even if I’m not as good but I still enjoy writing. Baking, I don’t have the time to bake these days but I love it every time I do. Trying to make a change – well this one I’m very passionate about. I have always been wanting to make a change, make the world a better place but as of now, I lack the resources to do so except, my thoughts and my voice, hence, the reason why I chose to create this blog with Liyana.

2. Where do you want to be in 5, 10, 20 or 40 years?
Liyana - In 5 years, I really hope I’m reading this with a really secured job. In 10 years, I want to be doing enough things to inspire people my age right now. In 20 years, I just want to go out for coffee dates with my best friends and complain about how our kids are acting exactly like us when we were teenagers. And in 40 years, I want to be able to sit back, look at my spouse and tell him we made it.
Sabrina - 5 years from now, I’d be 26 and honestly, I’d want to be married with a stable job. Cliché but that’s how I really feel. Not really sure about the rest though!
3. Do you like your birthdays?
Liyana - I LOVE birthdays! Whether it’s mine, a friend’s, or a family. There’s just something about honoring the birthday person and making them feel special for the day.
Sabrina - YES. I love my birthdays. I love birthdays in general, I don’t care whose it is, I just love them. I like to spend my birthdays with the people I love, regardless if we just go out for dinner, or go to the theme park – I’d just want to be with them.
4. What is your biggest dream?
Liyana - I have 2 ultimate dreams. I want to go out there and deliver speeches. Speeches that touch hearts. I want my words to move people. And at the end of everyday, I want to be able to come home to the family I am proud of and love so much.
Sabrina - I have always loved to dream big, because hey, dreaming doesn’t cost anything, but I’ve only told exactly one person regarding this dream and that is, to build a school for the less fortunate, although we live in a country that is truly blessed with free education but it’s still one of my biggest dream. I believe that the future is in the hands of the younger generations and each and every one of them deserves to be educated. Money is always an issue but I wished that it wasn’t. Hence, this thought came to my mind.
5. How much are you ready to sacrifice for your dream to come true?
Liyana - I’m ready to sacrifice the world.
Sabrina - I have to honestly say that I haven’t done anything to achieve that except studying but I have thought about a lot of things, and I am definitely ready to make sacrifices to see this dream through.
6. What are the 3 things in your life that you would like to change?
Liyana - I’d like to change: -

  • The fact that I’m useless in the kitchen. I want to be able to whip up something edible for myself. That could be a nice change.
  • The transparency of my emotions. I’m a little too transparent with my emotions and more often than not, I show what I feel. I hate knowing that people can sense when my mood is off.
  • My tummy fat. God, my tummy fat! Hahahahaha I don’t think I need to explain why.
Sabrina - Honestly, nothing. I am truly blessed to be born as a Muslim, to have amazing parents and family to have food on my table and to have friends who always support me in everything that I do.

7. When was the last time you laughed out loud?

Liyana - If you knew me personally, you’d know that every laugh I make is a laugh out loud moment. I don’t do giggles. I laugh. And it doesn’t always sound pleasant. I don’t remember the last time I did because well, I always do.
Sabrina - Yesterday night. I laugh at every single thing. I can say that I am easily amused. You can say just one funny thing, and I’d be laughing at the statement for a whole 10 minutes. I kid you not.
8. What are you grateful for?
Liyana - Everything I have now in my life, honestly. The people I have, the things I have and best of all, the passion I have discovered. I am grateful for my entire life. And in only 21 years, I think I’m doing pretty darn well.

Sabrina - Everything. I am grateful for everything I said on Q.6, but I am so grateful for all my mistakes and challenges I had to face. I say this all the time but I believe that mistakes and challenges play a huge role in shaping who I am today.
9. How important is social approval for you?
Liyana - I’d love to say that I couldn’t care less about what society thinks of me. But I do. I do care. Not everyone’s opinion though, just those who I think are worth taking into consideration. I believe self-reflection is important and if your opinion is the only opinion you take into account, then I don’t think you’re anywhere near improving.

Sabrina - Well, I used to think that they’re really important but as I grow older, I feel like none of them matter. Of course, I would get sad if people judged me but regardless anything, people will always judge you. So might as well be your crazy weird self and attract people who actually like you than to care about what society thinks.
10. Do you live for others or for yourself?
Liyana - I live for myself and the ones I care about. I live for myself in a sense that I put my passion first. I put what I love first. But at the same time, I consider those around me. They say relationships are a compromise. Life is a compromise. The relationships you have around you revolve around compromise.
Sabrina - Both. Having born the way that I am, I always think of others before myself but I have times where I can be selfish and just think of myself and I think that’s ok, this is my life, no one can tell me what to do and what not to do. (Not sure if I answered the question correctly…)
11. What was the last life lesson you learned?
Liyana - I hit a brick wall in public speaking and CrossFit. I felt stagnant and it just felt like I had no way out of it. My advice that people gave me was take it slow. There will always come a point in time where you feel like you are no longer progressing. That’s because you have exhausted yourself with the speed and rate you are climbing. Take it slow, take a small step back and try different approaches. Set goals and slowly check them off. Focus, breathe, try and try again.
Sabrina - Always be patient when life throws lemons at you.
I recently had a “crisis”, it might be nothing to some people but it was everything to me as I spent a lot of my time doing them and one day, they just vanished. I panicked at first but I didn’t break down, my mind was blown but I chose to stay patient. I tried not to think about it but instead, I told myself, fine, I did it once and I’m sure I can do it again. But that night when I finally accepted that everything was gone…. THEY appeared, just like that and I was so surprised and overwhelmed that I cried. I told myself, good things really do come to those who are patient. So guys, lesson learned, patience is key.  
12. What is your greatest fear?
Liyana - As cheeeeesy as this may sound, I fear of losing the ones I love and the things I love doing. I cannot imagine living without the people in my life. I cannot imagine living without Toastmasters and I cannot imagine living without CrossFit.
Sabrina - Death and the ocean. – Yep.
13. Which word describes your personality best?
Liyana - Unpredictable. I am a constant roller coaster of emotions. Sometimes, I am as calm as the waves. Other times, I’m a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. Like I said, I can be quite transparent with my emotions. Not my greatest trait.
Sabrina - I’m not so sure. Help me answer this one guys.
14. What inspires you?
Liyana - Quite a lot of things inspire me. Seeing people work hard, sacrifice and succeed. Seeing the purest of souls do good. Working with people who want nothing but the best for their peers. Things like those, they inspire me to no end. They inspire, to inspire.
Sabrina - Passionate people inspire me. All the things people do with passion makes it seem like everything’s possible.
15. What’s your life’s biggest achievement?
Liyana - Believe it or not, it’s having to hold a trophy again. A trophy that I won myself. Best of all, it’s a trophy for doing something I never thought I’d do. Deliver a speech. An inspirational speech. Another notable achievement, of course, how could I forget my very first CrossFit competition. That’s another thing I never thought I’d end up doing. Never in a million years.
Sabrina - Till this point, I have none that I would frame and put on my wall YET but there are some that made me proud of myself.
16. If you could choose any place, where would you live?
Liyana - Ah, I don’t think I have a straight answer for this. I don’t have one specific preference. I love a good space enough for me to call home, nothing specific for now. But maybe some place where the weather doesn’t make my pits sweat the moment I walk out of the house.
Sabrina - NEW YORK. Well I don’t know. Brunei is a peaceful country; I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. I’d travel the world though, that’s for sure.
17. Forget your real age for a second – now tell yourself how old are you?
Liyana - 5 or 50. That depends on which side of the bed I wake up on. I can be the most annoying, childish brat and at the same time speak nothing but wise words. Especially when I do evaluations. Hah! You’d never guess I’m only 21.
Sabrina - I’m going to be very boring and tell you that I think I’d still be 20 – 21 years. I may get childish at times (on good days) but I tend to be mature about some things too. So, I guess.. Same age.
18. What is happiness for you?

Liyana - Happiness is sipping a good cup of coffee in the morning with my favourite mug. A book in hand while I look forward to a full day of plans doing the things I love, with the people I love. Happiness is nothing fancy. There is happiness in everyday.

Sabrina - Happiness is not living a life without worries and problems but rather, having all those things and being able to overcome them with the people you love right by your side, is the true meaning of happiness for me. (DEEEEEEEPPPP)

19. What will you never forget?
Liyana - This is a tough one. I’d say memorable things, but they’re way too many to list down. I’d say painful things, but again they’re way too many to list down. So I’ll go with my roots. I’ll never forget my roots. Who I was, how I grew up and how I was raised. Because no achievement feels worthwhile without looking back on how far I’ve come.
Sabrina - Yummy food. Heh. I kid. I’d say… people who were there during tough times.
20. How many times have you fallen in love?
Liyana - I’ve fallen in love the first time I took a bite on a bar of chocolate mint. I knew right then that milk chocolate was out of the question. I’ve fallen in love with public speaking. I knew right then I wanted to speak for an audience. I’ve fallen in love the first time I started competing. I knew right then I wanted to be better. I’ve fallen in love with the feeling of being understood. I knew right then who I want to surround myself with for the rest of my life.
Sabrina - A lot of times. I've fallen in love with so many things. People, cities I’ve never been to, music, make up, and the list goes on. But ok, I can say… maybe, twice. (Notice me pls)
21. How many times has your heart been broken?
Liyana - Every time someone tells me the speech I deliver could be better. When I was told that I did not get short listed for TEDx, an audition speech I worked 2 straight days for, chugging the strongest coffee I could find at night. When I had to forgo the last qualifier workout to qualify for a competition I so badly wanted to compete in, all because of an injury. I could list down so much more but hey, those make good stories.
Sabrina - A lot of times too. When they don’t sell the lipstick shade that I want, when they don’t have the dessert I was craving for at that time. IT’S JUST SO HEART BREAKING.
On a serious note, I'm always heart broken whenever I feel like I've hurt someone in anyway. I really don't like to disappoint people, especially my parents and whenever I feel like I did, my heart would break to million pieces. I think that heartbreak is far more painful than any.
22. What makes you keep motivated and carry on?

Liyana - Perseverance. Stubbornness. The hatred for losing.

Sabrina - My dream and the constant support from the people around me.

23. Do you give up too soon?

Liyana - I don’t think that exists in my vocabulary. I am painfully competitive, sometimes unfortunate.

Sabrina - I don’t. but I give up when I think it’s time.

24. Do you know how it feels to wake up with a smile?
Liyana - Of course. Definitely. Almost everyday.
Sabrina - YES. When you have no more exams to worry about. WOOHOO.
25. Usually do you listen to your heart or to your brain?
Liyana - Hahahahaha my heart, most of the times. Especially when it comes to deciding whether I wanna open up a bag of chips for a midnight snack.
Sabrina - My heart. I go with my feelings rather than my brain. Sorry brain.

So that's it for our first ever Q & A! Feel free to ask us more questions on the chatbox! We hope you enjoyed this one. 


You May Also Like

0 comments