Do you wear glasses?

by - 17:10:00



I wear glasses.
I've been needing glasses to see ever since I was 7 years old, diagnosed with astigmatism.What is astigmatism? I'm no optometrist but let me tell you how it feels living with astigmatism. Everything is a blur. Literally. My laptop screen, my phone screen, people's faces, my face on the mirror. Everything. Don't even get me started on trying to see the board or projector screen in class. (This could be a separate post on how my daily life is without my glasses)
I gave in to wearing glasses everyday ever since I started driving because I am almost as blind as a bat at night. Contact lenses are a no-go because astigmatism prescription lenses are expensive to pre-order for the rest of my life.

Here are the #firstworldproblems glasses-wearers go through, at least in my experience:

  • Laying down with glasses
There are times when I just want to be normal and lay down while I watch a movie on my laptop. But the glasses forbids. Everything just gets disrupted when laying down causes it to be crooked. I can never get comfortable with my head on a pillow while having perfect eyesight. Never.
  • Smudging make up
You know that area on the bridge of the nose where the glasses rests? Make up never lasts there. It's the land where make up should never be applied. You either get foundation smeared on the glasses or smudged make up on the bridge of your nose. You choose which one is worse.
  • What's an eye make up?
Eyeliner on fleek? Eyeshadow blending skills? Fake lashes? What are those? Why waste money on those when they're going to get hidden behind those frames you need for seeing? That's ok, I didn't feel like vamping up my eye make up anyway *cries*
  • Glasses sliding down my nose
What's nerdier than having to push your glasses up every few seconds? Nothing. What would I not pay for non-slip glasses. Sigh.
  • Keeping the shawl in place
The glasses move an inch, the inner moves, the shawl moves too. One heart, one soul. They say beauty is pain.
  • Keeping them clean
The least favourite part of my day is when I take off my glasses only to see all the foundation stains on the temples of  my glasses. Another pet peeve of mine is wearing my glasses right after a workout when my hair is drenched in sweat. Do you know how icky that feels? If only I didn't need them to drive back home at night.....
  • The fog
That few seconds of complete blindness after exiting a super cold room. The biggest problem is exiting the library where I usually have both my hands full with heavy bags, that means no free hands to carefully take off my glasses and wipe them clean. Nor do I have the patience. A few seconds of walking blindly always seems like the better option.


I'm sure there are many more where these came from. Tell me, my fellow glasses-wearers (?), do you feel the same?! Tell me I am not alone.

Liyana Sidek

You May Also Like

0 comments