The brighter side to an unsatisfying CGPA

So if you're a UBD student, you're part of the RESULTS ARE OUT hype. Yes guys, results were released just a few hours ago and my group chats on WhatsApp were filled with crying emojis. Intense? No, not exactly. This happens every time. 

My results, you ask? I wasn't satisfied. Enough to get through but if you knew me at all, you know I am nowhere near satisfied.

However, let me tell you why I'm not all that sad about it.

If you knew me, you know I am almost incapable of counting my own change in a restaurant.
This goes to show that Maths is nowhere near my favourite subject. But guess what was one of the compulsory degree core I had to take last semester? Yeah, statistics. How did it go, you may ask? Horrible. The lectures were horrible. The assignments were horrible. The exam was horrible. I am not exaggerating when I say that I did not understand a thing the lecturer said in the last few classes. Not only that, I COULDN'T SEE THE BOARD. AND IT WAS A BOARD FILLED WITH NUMBERS. I kid you not, it was hell. I carried the terrible thought that I was going to fail the module because I knew nothing. But I scraped the bottom of the barrel by doing all I can to push through even though I knew the chances of me scoring were slim. With the help of my good friends, I made it. I did not pass with flying colours but I made it through. If you were in my position and you knew how bad I am at maths, you'd would give me the chance to at least be happy about the fact that, I, Liyana Sidek, did not fail statistics.

I was in a class filled with students who knew what they were taking from the first day they stepped foot in the lecture.
I took all the same modules as my 3 girls. All, except for one. Accounting. Now, I have never taken accounting before, ever, and I had no one with me. If you think that's bad, I had to take the same tutorial class as people with accounting background, so I had to kiss my chances of getting extra help goodbye. (Not that we get extra help). For this module, I didn't have anyone to count on for help, except myself. Friends and family would ask if I was doing alright and I'd say yes. When in fact, I was nowhere near alright. I had to go through chapter by chapter that was thrown to us in just 2 hours of lecture in a week and everything goes by in a blur. I would study for hours, on the verge of giving up every time. But guess what? I made it. Again, it was not crazy good but I made it. I did not fail. With the amount of work I put in, in such short time, I wouldn't say I'm incredibly proud of myself but I can say I'm glad I made it through.

Countless reports and late nights I thought would never pay off but God knows it probably played a huge part in saving my ass.
When trying to complete a group work, report or research, the devil in me always tells me to give up because let's be real, how many percent of this huge amount of work will reflect in the final grade? What I fail to realize is that, every percent counts. Without these group work, I probably wouldn't have made it.

So, everyone, regardless of what last semester had to give you, don't forget to look back and give yourself a good pat on the back for putting in the work. Think about all the times you've burned the midnight candle just to study and the times you've turned down an invitation to hang out just to finish a project. All these deserve your acknowledgement even if you think it does not reflect in your results.

But having said all this, I am determined to strive harder next semester even if it means having to shed more buckets of tears. I am all for it. Here's to making the most out of our holiday and next semester!!!

Liyana

You May Also Like

0 comments