CrossFit Opens 2015

The Opens aren't officially done yet but I sure am. 

I have attempted the last and final 15.5 workout last night, on the day it was announced and maaannnn am I glad I did it! 
I decided to blog about it today when everything is still fresh in my mind and I can still feel the pain I felt yesterday during the attempt. (physically too, I am horribly sore). But I don't think I will ever forget how it made me feel and the lessons the Opens has taught me.

But before that, a little bit of back story:

I have never been super fit growing up and sports was never really my forte. I tried netball when I was in high school and I think I was the reason my team lost. I tried track and field, I wasn't bad but still not good enough to be called an athlete. In sixth form, I played for my school's rugby team, it was good fun and I enjoyed it but I wouldn't say I was amazing at it. The only reason I still cared about getting out there was because I loved food and as much as I hate to say it, I am quite vain about how I looked and how much I weighed. 

I joined CrossFit about 3 months ago with the hopes of just wanting to see what CrossFit is all about and liking it. A few weeks through and I have never felt so unfit in my life! I worked out alongside people who are more than capable of lifting twice my body weight, run twice and thrice as fast as me and endure so much more than I could! You'd think intimidation would creep up on me but these people are one of most supportive bunch of people I have ever met and for every little thing I achieve, their support lifts me even higher.

My confidence rose gradually and it was forced up even higher when Nash signed me up for the CrossFit Opens. He told me it would be amazing, I'd learn a lot of things and it would be the time for a lot of firsts. Was he right?


He couldn't be more right.

I learned that mentality is just as important as physical ability.
All throughout the 5 workouts of the Opens, I have learned that mentality plays a huge part of it. If you tell yourself that you can't do it, chances are, you will really fail. I have re attempted 3 out of 5 workouts because I mentally freaked out on my first attempt. My mind was telling me all sorts of things that I shouldn't be telling myself and that caused me failure. The second time around was much better because I learned how to control the negativity and fed myself with confidence.

The pain of regret hurts more than the physical pain of a workout.
As soon as each of the 5 workouts were announced every week, I have a constant debate with  myself whether I should do RX or scale it down. A part of me gets afraid that I will not be able to survive it but a part of me says just try. What do you have to lose? I knew that the only thing stopping me was fear. But the competitive side of me kicked in and I pushed my fear aside. During the Opens this year, I got my first ever toes to bars, RXed my overhead squats, learned how to skip properly, RXed thrusters and most of the weights I have attempted are my very first time doing it. I surprised myself by doing RX in 3 out of 5 workouts.

Never underestimate the power of support.
I thought the energy and support of the community would diminish during the Opens because everyone would be too focused in doing their best in their own workouts. But I have never been so wrong! The support doubled or if not, tripled!! The energy of everyone in the box was crazy! I have always known support does wonders to people, from my experience in Toastmasters (this would also deserve another post of its own soon) but I didn't know it could lift you this high. 
Take my last and final workout for example. It was the keeper of all hells. But they say, if you're going through hell, keep going. But that was easier said than done. I chose to attempt RX because I know regret would haunt me if I didn't. It caused me terrible pain physically and mentally. I don't think words can even describe how I felt then. My entire body burned and ached. My clothes were drenched in sweat. My hair was all over the place. My body cried out to stop and all I wanted to do was to slump down and stay there forever. After every lift, I got lightheaded and my vision blurred at times. I shook my head in defeat countless times and I groaned that I wanted to give up. But who didn't let me? The community. My friends. My support system. They were there the entire step of the way. I pushed through my pain and told myself that I have to finish it. It hurts like hell now but it would hurt more if I gave up. And I did it. I freaking did it. I stayed on the floor shaking in pain after the workout. I couldn't get up and I couldn't feel my arms. Who was there to congratulate me? The exact same people who stayed with me through all the pain. My eyesight blurred and I couldn't think about anything else but I heard all the wonderful things they had to say and that was more than enough to ease the pain.

I have learned to do it because I love it.
I no longer do the workouts because I have to but because I want to. I have learned that it gives me enough satisfaction to want to do it and in everything I do, I aim to do my best. 

Believing in yourself is vital.
Everyone knows this but not everyone lives by it. I've always known that self confidence is important but it was only proven to me now. If I didn't have an ounce of belief in myself, I couldn't have fought through all the challenges and pain. Because after all, no one else can make you do anything but yourself.



All these lessons I've learned will stay with me for a very long time and hopefully forever and I'd like to thank everyone who has made all these worthwhile!




Shout out to Team Pogi for being an amazing team! 


And how can I forget the amazing Coach Nash for standing by me and supporting me the entire time!


The entire community has been nothing but wonderful!!


Liyana 

You May Also Like

0 comments